Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Old Fashioned Reel Lawn Mower

I enjoy doing lawn work.  I have as long as I can remember.  I believe it is a learned behavior from spending a lot of time with my Grandma L who loves to garden.  Gardening with her is one of my fondest childhood memories.  My grandparents had a big yard sweeper, to sweep up all of the grass once it was cut.  I spent so much time pushing the sweeper around their yard, following behind my grandpa on the lawn mower. I always found it rewarding to work out in the sun. 

As a teenager I always offered to mow the lawn.  The issue for me was that I could never start our push mower.  I still as an adult have a difficult time starting our push mower.  I had always wanted a reel mower, the type people used before the invention of the fancy gas powered mowers. 

Last fall I found an old fashioned reel push mower for free on the side of the road.  I pulled up and checked it out when an older lady came out of the garage.  He told me that her kids bought it for her and she found it too difficult  to push up the steep hill at her house.  It had only been used one time and she just wanted it gone.  I offered to pay her but she refused.  So I loaded it as quickly as possible into my car.  I was more excited than a kid at Christmas. 

Unfortunately, it was fall and our grass never grew enough to allow me to mow.  This spring, as soon as all of the snow was gone, I had it out lowering it to my liking.  It works beautifully! I do not have to fight with the pull start or worry about running out of gas. I can talk to my kids while I use it and the best part in my opinion is that there are no emissions! 

Yes it does use more man power than a standard small engine push mower to maneuver it around the yard.  I consider it to be a good work out.  We still have our gas powered lawn mower to appease Lunchie.  He figures that one day he might have to mow and he would rather use the gas mower.  If it were up to me I would sell the gas mower or give it to someone who needs it.  

I love the simplicity of the reel lawn mower.  When thinking or living minimal it is definitely the way to go!   


No comments:

Post a Comment