Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Falling off the Wagon...head first





I have only been living a strict minimal life for around a year.  Anyone who really knows me can tell you that I have had minimal tendencies since I was a teenager.  I drove my friends crazy any time we went shopping because I would have something in my hands that I was going to buy but by the time we had made it to the cashier I had put it back.  I still do this and it makes my husband insane.  I have a hard time buying things for myself, my family on the other hand, not to much.  

There are still times when I loose sight of my goal to not be a mass consumer.   Lately I have been checking out Goodwill on a regular basis and leaving with a new pair of shoes.  Not sensible shoes but high heels, wedges, and peep toe shoes.  Some with the original store tags on them.  I try them on, walk up and down the isle, admire them in the mirror and then they become mine. They are always a huge deal, I think the most I have paid for a pair of shoes was $1.50 and they were almost new! I know I am weak.

I think this new found obsession with shoes has recently developed because I no longer have to wear sensible shoes to chase down my children.  They are all now old enough to listen for the most part.  When we go out I don't have to worry about a toddler scampering off after a toy and ending up in the road. This never happened to us and I give credit to my sensible shoe choices allowing me to keep up with the boys.  The shoes I bought at my last acquisition would not allow me to chase anyone!  

I think I have also convinced myself that it is okay because I am buying donated items and not from a chain store.  The shoes, once they are sold are not be reordered which means that the company isn't making more shoes to stock the shelves.  Plus they are cheap and not making a huge impact on my wallet.  I failed to see until recently that my shoe purchases are adding up, slowly, but they are.  

I have gone from having five pairs of shoes, including winter boots, to 12.  I know for many people 12 pairs of shoes isn't going to seem like a lot, but for me it is too many.  Yesterday I wore a pair of wedges to my son's Kindergarten graduation and they gave me a huge blister.  So they are going back to Goodwill. So I will be down to 11 pairs. 

Minimalism for me is a conscious choice to limit the amount of things that I own.  Typically I take the time before purchasing anything to ask myself 
  • Do I need this?
  • When/how will I use this?
  • Do I love this enough to give up something I already have? 

Lately I haven't been taking the time to ask the questions.  I've been impulse buying.  Now I am jumping back on the wagon and avoiding Goodwill unless I am donating.  I have a Rubbermaid bin full of clothes that the youngest has outgrown that will be heading to Goodwill by the end of the week.  

This is my new mantra!
-TMW

   

No comments:

Post a Comment