Monday, April 29, 2013

Finding my ideal minimalism


Finding my ideal minimalism

Last summer I purchased a dresser off of craigslist and I initially loved it. It was from the 1970's and the drawers had scroll work on them. It would be perfect! I had been living without a dresser for my whole marriage and suddenly felt that I deserved a dresser.  I cleaned up the dresser,painted it, moved it into my room, and put my clothes away.

 Two weeks later I hated it.  It became a catch all for us. I constantly found myself cleaning it off. I finally had enough. I emptied all of the drawers and posted it on craigslist and it sold within 10 minutes of being posted! (I even made some money on it!) My clothes were then strewed about my bedroom, which made me take a good look at them. It was crazy how many clothes I owned and never wore! This was the point at which I started giving a mass amount of stuff away.  After going through each item of clothing, I collected six paper overflowing grocery bags to give away. I haven't missed a single item I gave away yet. 
We have a small dresser that was used mostly as a decoration that has now become my dresser. It is 2 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 1 foot deep with four drawers. I'm still working on downsizing what it holds. However, for me right now I am at a happy spot.  
My new dresser

 My closet is still a work in progress. I have the rule that if I haven't worn (blank item of clothing) in the past 6 months its being donated.  Seriously no one needs 15 t-shirts (I'm looking at you Lunchbox!)
I have come to the realization that things do not create happiness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment