Monday, April 29, 2013

We are weapons of mass consumption

There was a time in my life before my other two children were born, where I bought anything and everything.  I spent a lot of time and money buying clothes not only for myself but my husband and son. We rented in a cookie cutter neighborhood at that time and were barely making ends meet but my concern was appearing like everyone else in the neighborhood.  I spent a large chunk of money landscaping a rental, A RENTAL just to keep up with the Jones. 

I look back at that time period and realize now that I was lonely.  My husband was working a crazy schedule trying to let me afford the crazy lifestyle I was trying to project.  I was spending everyday shopping trying to fill my loneliness with things.   The things I bought gave me an instant satisfaction but the thrill was gone by the time the bags reached the house.  It was a vicious cycle.  I was lonely so I went shopping, my husband worked extra hours to pay for all the extra stuff I was buying, which meant I was alone more.  

I think a lot of people use shopping as a 'filler' for other issues. I live near a Target and drive by it often.  I have never driven by Target when the parking lot isn't full.  We are like ants running to a picnic.  We feel the need to prove ourselves equal in every aspect of our lives.  We are always purchasing new clothes, the newest electronics, home decor to 'keep up with the Jones'.      Television is always shoving the newest things down our throats and we are conditioned to 'need' these things.  

I've broken the cycle for myself.  Don't get me wrong I am still tempted. 


However, I now find immense pleasure in having a clean organized house. I find myself enjoying empty space.  After living for years being unable to find things it I love when I know right where something is.  Living minimalist in a consumer driven world is always a battle.  I shop Target and often find some cute thing I think I can't live with out but I now I ask myself three questions. 
  • Do I need this?
  • When/how will I use this?
  • Do I love this enough to give up something I already have? 
More often than not I find myself putting the item back and leaving the store with just the things that were on my list. I come home feeling good because I saved myself some money, I don't have to unload a lot of bags and try to find a home for things I bought.  

In short:
We've all heard that money doesn't equal happiness which I agree with.  I also learned that happiness can not come from things because I lived it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment