Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Letting go of items that hold an emotional attachement

When I was pregnant with my oldest my grandmother died.  It was a hard time for our family as she a very strong woman who held our family together. Upon her passing I inherited a lot of her household items because we were just starting out.   My grandmother was a baker and sold the bread, cookies, pies and  rolls she made to everyone. So she had a huge collection of pie plates, loaf pans and everything that goes with baking.  I took it all, everything and I don't bake enough to justify having all of the wares for a small bakery.  Slowly, over the last 10 years I have started giving things away or selling them.   I have now four pie plates, a set of stainless steel mixing bowls, cook books, and other utensils.

Today I put one of the pie plates into a bag for donations.  Yes it pulled at  my heart a little but I have to remember that these things aren't my grandmother.  Do I need a pie plate to remember her? No.  Am I every going to use four pie plates at the same time? Probably not.  So why keep something that I am most likely never going to use.   If my grandmother were here she would say "Why are you keeping all this junk?"  So why am I?

I think we are often afraid that by giving away or getting rid of things that a loved one gave to us we will be offending them or giving up a piece of them we are still holding on to.  I always remind myself of my ultimate goal to live simply and holding onto things doesn't help me meet that goal.  I will always have my memories of my grandma dancing in her dinning room with me, I don't need a pie plate to remember that. 

If you are starting to downsize you don't have to get rid of those items with emotional attachments right away.  It has taken me a lot of time to give up some things but I eventually do. Minimalism isn't about making yourself uncomfortable, for me it is about simplifying how I live.

-H

No comments:

Post a Comment